- September 7: Rocky Mountain National Park (Dream Lake) “Cutthroat Crazies” See our Fishing Trips page for more details.
Host: Mark Miller
- September 7: Poudre Clean Up: Poudre Learning Center is partnering with TU, CTU, RMF, Xcel Energy and CBS4 to provide a riparian restoration project, A Day of Service, Saturday, Sept. 7 from 9:00 AM until noon. Our Cache la Poudre is one of nine projects being conducted from Denver to Greeley. Volunteers of all ages are invited to help with river beautification and habitat clean up along three miles of Cache la Poudre River near Greeley, CO. Parking is available in the circle in front of the Poudre Learning Center (8313 W F Street), in front of the trail head, or on the North side of the road on West F Street.
Volunteers can participate by removing trash, helping with river enhancement projects in the river and invasive plant species removal in the river and along the riverbank. 50 total volunteers needed. Required equipment includes: closed toe shoes, water bottles, gardening gloves, sunscreen, mosquito repellant and long pants are recommended. T-shirts and snacks and water will be provided.
To sign-up simply go to http://xcelenergy.ivolunteer.com/.
Recently, channel 4 weekend news anchor Nina Sparano came to the PLC for a look at how the Day of Service will help keep the river clean. To see the video, go to the CBS4 web site at http://denver.cbslocal.com/
- September 11: Board Meeting at 7:00 PM. Members are welcome to attend any board meeting. Check with a Board Member to find out where the meeting is being held.
- September 14:
Gateway Trail RestorationCancelled due to floodingRMF has partnered with Fort Collins Natural Areas to restore and maintain trails in the Gateway Natural Area along the Poudre River. This is an excellent opportunity to spend a few hours in the morning helping out, then sharing a lunch with other volunteers and possibly taking some time to fish a corner of the Poudre where the North Fork supplies some additional flow. If you can spare some time this Saturday morning, contact Dave Piske.
Tools and lunch will be provided. For more information, see the 2013 August and September issues of The Flypaper. Stories from previous work can be found on our Activities page.
- September 15: Phantom Canyon: River Trail Stewardship
Rocky Mountain Flycasters/Trout Unlimited River Trail Leaders will work with a team of volunteers to mow vegetation in the trail, trim back trail-side vegetation, and rebuild rock cairns marking safe river crossings. Afterward, volunteers will be able to do some catch-and-release fishing in the canyon. See the Phantom Canyon Page for more details and volunteer signup contacts. Last Phantom Canyon work day of the season.
- September 18: RMF General Meeting with Kerry Caraghar
Longtime Colorado Guide and current fishing manager of the Cherry Creek Orvis store, will share tips on fishing the Encampment River with wade and float fishing.
Social hour begins at 6:30 pm at the Fort Collins Senior Center, and the program follows at 7:00 pm. We will have a local fly tyer at each general meeting and an equipment raffle following the meeting. Admission is free and the public is welcome. The Fort Collins Senior Center is located at 1200 Raintree Drive off Shields Avenue between Prospect and Drake. Additional meeting information.
- September 21: Day for Kids Festival: RMF will again host a booth at the Day for Kids Festival held by the Larimer Boys & Girls Clubs. Larimer Boys & Girls Clubs is an important partner supporting RMF’s Youth Day Camp. This year’s festival will be held at the new Fort Collins Museum of Discovery located in old town at 408 Mason Court.
Volunteers will demonstrate fly tying, simple casting, several basic fishing knots, show guests the aquatic insects, answer fishing questions, hand out information and discuss Rocky Mountain Flycasters activities and the TU mission benefits in Northern Colorado.
Email Dennis Cook or by phone (372-9229) to help out.
- September 28: Poudre River (Big South) “Grand Slam” See our Fishing Trips page for more details.
Host: Stan Woodring
Note of the Day:
1924 May 26. Nairnside, Inverness pond. very small butcher. 2 trout. Dead calm. Very fine tackle. Lost in weeds, hooked another which took cast 7 flies.
King, Patricia, 1980, Muriel Foster’s Fishing Diary (NY: Viking Press).