- July 10: RMF Board Meeting at 7:00 PM. Members are welcome to attend any board meeting. Check with a Board Member for the meeting location and/or agenda.
- July 15: Trout Unlimited Celebrates Its 60th Anniversary On this day in 1959, TU was founded by George Griffith and 14 other anglers to help preserve, protect, and restore trout streams in America. Trout Unlimited has more about these historical events.
- July 20: Phantom Canyon Volunteer Trail Work and Fishing Day
The Nature Conservancy invites us for a day of trail work and fishing at Phantom Canyon Preserve. This day will consist of morning corridor clearing and trail restoration, followed by an afternoon of fishing and/or hiking along the North Fork of the Cache la Poudre River.
TNC’s Phantom Canyon Preserve is located about 35-miles north of Fort Collins, Colorado. The Preserve hosts 4-miles of the North Fork of the Cache la Poudre River as it runs through canyon walls with a 650-foot elevation loss from canyon rim to bottom. This volunteer day is a strenuous day of extreme terrain hiking and river crossing.
Volunteer slots are full and there is a waiting list. To sign up, please send an email request to Phantom Canyon Events that includes your name, phone number, and which of the three dates you would like to volunteer. The three work/fish days are July 20, August 17, and September 14. If someone will be coming with you, please include their contact information as well. In order to allow as many people as possible to participate, please only sign up for one of the dates. If you are available for more than one of the dates, then please specify your order of preference. Requests will be granted on a first come, first serve basis.
You can get more information at The Nature Conservancy site.
- July 27: Colorado River Headwaters
On the west side of the Continental Divide in Rocky Mountain National Park is the origin of the Colorado River. Nestled in the pines is the meandering creek that begins a mighty river. Join us for eager brookies and the occasional cutthroat. Contact host Dennis Cook.
- July 29: RMF Youth Fly Fishing & River Conservation Day Camp
This summer we will sponsor our 10th Annual non-resident camp, running from July 29 through August 3, 2019. Our Youth Outreach Camp is an intense six day program for fifteen students to learn about resource conservation and about fly fishing. It is also a great opportunity to volunteer to ensure that the next generation continues to care for the cold water resources as we do. Application process begins early March 2018. See the 2019 Camp page.
If you would be interested in volunteering in the extraordinary program, please apply on our Camp Volunteer page.
- July 30: RMF Youth Fly Fishing & River Conservation Day Camp continues from July 29 to August 3.
- July 31: RMF Youth Fly Fishing & River Conservation Day Camp continues from July 29 to August 3.
Download this month’s calendar entries for your digital calendar.
Note of the Day:
1924 May 26. Nairnside, Inverness pond. very small butcher. 2 trout. Dead calm. Very fine tackle. Lost in weeds, hooked another which took cast 7 flies.
King, Patricia, 1980, Muriel Foster’s Fishing Diary (NY: Viking Press).