- July 8: Board Meeting at 7:00 PM. Members are welcome to attend any board meeting. Check with a Board Member to find out where the meeting is being held.
- July 11: Lake Agnes. Hike-in day trip. Beautiful spot for high country Cutties. See our fishing page and contact Mark Miller. Fishing trip host will be Dave Morse.
- July 11: Soldier Creek Riparian Restoration
Rescheduled restoration event in our area. This family friendly project is on a tributary to the Poudre River in Fort Collins.
Last year, as part of the Poudre River Fest, WRV volunteers assisted in revegetation of the section along the Poudre. This year, we team with WRV to restore the original name of the tributary as we restore the riparian function of the site. Volunteers will plant native species and reseed areas with native seed.
This full day project requires 30 volunteers. Sign up for this project with Wildlands Restoration Volunteers.
Since the project is right here in town, WRV will host an afterparty at the WRV office on Mulberry, Beer and Brats theme. We hope to see lots of TU hats and shirts amongst the volunteer turnout!
- July 15: Trout Unlimited Celebrates Its 56th Anniversary On this day in 1959, TU was founded by George Griffith and 14 other anglers to help preserve, protect, and restore trout streams in America. Trout Unlimited has more about these historical events.
- July 18: Fort Collins Natural Area Gateway
Entering its fifth consecutive year, is the Adopt-A-Trail program usually held at Gateway Natural Area. Dependent on needs, the location may be at another of the City of Fort Collins Natural Areas along the Poudre. This program at Gateway involves trail rehabilitation near the confluence of the Poudre’s North Fork with the Poudre’s main stem. Work four hours in the morning, then enjoy a rewarding lunch, and fish in the afternoon. Two dates are scheduled; May 9 and July 18 . The location will be selected a month prior to these dates. The RMF-TU contact for more information and to sign-up is Dave Morse.
- July 19: Phantom Canyon Trail Maintenance and Fishing
The Nature Concervancy’s Phantom Canyon Preserve and Rocky Mountain Flycasters volunteers work together to maintain trails at the Preserve on the North Fork of the Poudre River. Volunteers work in the morning while in the afternoon are able to catch and release fish samples in the afternoon. See the Phantom Canyon page for more information and to apply for a volunteer spot. This is the first of this year’s very popular Phantom Canyon volunteer activity.
- July 25: RMNP Dream Lake. A little slice of dry fly sight-fishing heaven. Hike-in day trip. See our fishing page and contact Mark Miller. Fishing trip host will be Mark Miller.
- July 26: Phantom Canyon Trail Maintenance and Fishing Back-up Date
Back up day for trail work if conditions prevent work on July 19.
- July 27: RMF Youth Fly Fishing & River Conservation Day Camp
This summer’s non-resident camp runs July 27 through August 1, 2015. Our Youth Outreach Camp is an intense six day program for students to learn about resource conservation and about fly fishing. Application process begins early February 2015.
- July 28: RMF Youth Fly Fishing & River Conservation Day Camp continues from Jul 27-Aug 1.
- July 29: RMF Youth Fly Fishing & River Conservation Day Camp continues from Jul 27-Aug 1.
- July 30: RMF Youth Fly Fishing & River Conservation Day Camp continues from Jul 27-Aug 1.
- July 31: RMF Youth Fly Fishing & River Conservation Day Camp continues from Jul 27-Aug 1.
Note of the Day:
1924 May 26. Nairnside, Inverness pond. very small butcher. 2 trout. Dead calm. Very fine tackle. Lost in weeds, hooked another which took cast 7 flies.
King, Patricia, 1980, Muriel Foster’s Fishing Diary (NY: Viking Press).