- July 10: Board Meeting at 7:00 PM. Members are welcome to attend any board meeting. Check with a Board Member to find out where the meeting is being held.
- July 13: Rocky Mountain National Park (Colorado River Headwaters) “Bravo Brookies” See our Fishing Trips page for more details.
Host: Dennis Cook.
- July 15: Trout Unlimited Celebrates Its 54th Anniversary On this day in 1959, TU was founded by George Griffith and 14 other anglers to help preserve, protect, and restore trout streams in America. Trout Unlimited has more about these historical events.
- July 21: Phantom Canyon: River Trail Stewardship
Rocky Mountain Flycasters/Trout Unlimited River Trail Leaders will work with a team of volunteers to mow vegetation in the trail, trim back trail-side vegetation, and rebuild rock cairns marking safe river crossings. Afterward, volunteers will be able to do some catch-and-release fishing in the canyon. See the Phantom Canyon Page for more details and volunteer signup contacts. Backup in case of unsuitable conditions will be 28 July.
- July 28: Phantom Canyon: River Trail Stewardship Backup date for Phantom Canyon Trail work of 21 July.
- July 29: RMF Youth Fly Fishing & River Conservation Day Camp
This summer’s non-resident camp runs July 29 through August 3, 2013. Our Youth Outreach Camp is an intense six day program for students to learn about resource conservation and about fly fishing. Application process begins early February 2013.
- July 30: RMF Youth Fly Fishing & River Conservation Day Camp continues from Jul 29-Aug 3.
- July 31: RMF Youth Fly Fishing & River Conservation Day Camp continues from Jul 29-Aug 3.
Note of the Day:
At the turn of the century, the lower Beaver Kill in New York State was too warm and polluted for trout, due to extensive clearcutting, paper mills, and tanneries along its banks. The banks are now forested, the tanneries and mills are long gone, but this river is still a sensitive ecosystem, threatened by roads and housing developments. —Tom Rosenbauer