- November 2: St Vrain Anglers Trout Unlimited Fly Tying Expo
St. Vrain Anglers would like to invite you to a new event—the St Vrain Anglers TU Chapter’s First Annual Fly Tying Expo, on Saturday, November 2, 2013, at the Longmont American Legion, 315 South Bowen Street from 10:00-4:00. Your $15 admission fee includes lunch and raffle tickets. This event is a fund raiser for the Chapter.
Twenty-five expert tyers will demonstrate their favorite fly patterns, from midges to dries to streamers and saltwater flies. The list includes Rick Takahashi, Al Ritt, Jason Goodale, Mark Rayman, Marty Staab, Rob Kolanda and many others. Your raffle tickets can be used to win your favorite tyer’s flies.
There will also be a few high quality silent auction items, including an autographed first edition copy of John Gierach’s “Trout Bums.”
Please plan to attend this fun and educational event.
- November 9: Big Thompson (Canyon) “Bows-Brownies Bash” See our Fishing Trips page for more details.
Host: Dennis Cook.
- November 11: Northern Colorado Women Flyfishers CWF will hold its regular meeting at 6:30 pm. Author, fly tier, Guide Director, partner in Blue Quill Angler, and more, Pat Dorsey will be the speaker. For more information contact Amy Galyardt (420-9229).
- November 13: Board Meeting at 7:00 PM. Members are welcome to attend any board meeting. Check with a Board Member to find out where the meeting is being held.
- November 20: RMF General Meeting: Guest Night!
Spend a special evening at our Guest Night with Ed Engle presenting “A Western Fly Fisher’s Life.” World fisher/traveler and author of many books you should have in your library, Ed brings his special point of view to Fort Collins.
Our special Guest Night is a night to bring a few friends to share with them what Rocky Mountain Flycasters has to offer. As a special incentive this evening, RMF is providing those who sign up for a new $20 membership with additional bonuses. See our Guest Night page for details.
Social hour begins at 6:30 pm at the Fort Collins Senior Center, and the program follows at 7:00 pm. We will have Conner Murphy and Jin Choi as tiers from St. Peter’s Fly Shop. Our friends at Elkhorn Rod and Reel will have rods to demo, and an equipment raffle following the meeting. Admission is free and the public is welcome. The Fort Collins Senior Center is located at 1200 Raintree Drive off Shields Avenue between Prospect and Drake. Additional meeting information.
Note of the Day:
Beaching a large Pacific salmon can be harmful to the fish if you plan to release it, and trying to lift a big salmon’s head at close quarters may break a fragile graphite rod tip. Guides on salmon rivers from Alaska to Norway prefer wide, long-handled nets that make the last part of the battle safe and easy for all parties involved. —Tom Rosenbauer