Rocky Mountain Flycasters - Board Meetings
RMF BOARD MEETING MINUTES
February 11, 2015
7:00 PM - Meeting called to order
Attendance: Dick Jefferies, Linda Jefferies , Bob Green, Dave Cunningham, Gil Coleman, Lee Evans, Dennis Cook, Lance Asherin, Paul Wehr, David Cunningham, Guy Turenne, Tom Culbertson, Dave Morse and Dave Piske
Guest: Glen Edwards, Northeast Regional Vice-President of Colorado Trout Unlimited
Introductions / President’s Comments
Dick informed the group that after 20 years the parties have signature on a memorandum of understanding and that the project is likely to be signed within 90 days.
Multi-Basin Grant Program is underway
We now have signed contracts in hand finally for a contract that was approved last June. The key to getting things going now is the plant propagation program. Because funds were delayed we do not have plants already growing, public relations work is underway to get the private sector to start growing restoration species.
Introduction of Glen Edwards. Glen is the Northeast Regional Vice-President. Glen is visiting with Chapters in the NE area to gather ideas of how CTU can better serve the chapters.
Glen stated that CTU is interested in improving relations with the local chapters. He stated that a better communication system is needed. He asked us if we had any suggestions on things that they might be able to assist with. Here are some of the items discussed.
- Development of a strategic plan
- A national fund raising formula would be helpful
- The lack of assertiveness to get chapters and CTU to switch to Salsa for communication.
- The training taking place at the fall meeting or Rendezvous is often difficult to attend. Getting the training onto a web site to view whenever you have time would be a big help. Live webinars would be helpful as well.
- A link on the CTU web site of information for leaders is lacking.
- Lee asked about getting some training for more advanced leaders.
- Long Draw
- Review Agenda: Items added see 4.0
- Approve Minutes of Last Meeting: Motion/2nd/Approved:
- Consent Agenda: Approved - Lee did ask about Colorado Gives Day, we received some generous donations and will further discuss in March.
- Pulled Consent Items: None
- Introductions / President’s Comments
Poudre River Forum - Follow UP
Dick J., Dave P. and Tom C. attended the Poudre River Forum. A quick after action review.
Overall they felt that attendance was well down this year and discussions were similar to last years. Not sure about being a table sponsor in the future. Dick felt they might not survive another year. They felt the water planning and projected population growth talks were very good.
NISP - (Northern Integrated Supply Project) looking at future discussion.
Dick informed the group that the Army Core of Engineers is expected to make a decision later this summer or fall about the Glade reservoir project. CTU has asked the local chapter to get involved. Northern Colorado Water has invited us to be a part of the conversation discussing the project. We could be present in the discussions addressing mitigation measures of concern. Dick felt that if we want to have an impact that now is the time to get involved.
Consensus of the group was to go ahead and begin discussions and that the chapter should get involved.
- Dick J., Dave P. and Tom C. attended the Poudre River Forum. A quick after action review.
2015 Fly Tying Expo
- Last update before next weeks expo -
- Lee Evans - Update on tiers. Lee provided a list of 22 tiers, we will get tables set up and place name tags for them as soon as we can get in the room. Dennis will bring 8 vises from our storage for the two beginner tables. Lee asked everyone to bring a power cord and power strip along in case they are needed.
- Coy Wylie - Update on swag and auction table. Coy could not attend but has informed Dick that we have a lot of stuff to auction.
- Linda Jefferies - Entrance table. Donna Burrell has offered to assist Linda at the door table. Linda asked for two helpers with the PayPal readers and two more to assist with directing people. Name tags for the board and leadership team members will be available.
- Dick Jefferies - Food and drink. Mainline Ale house will be providing the food. We will be providing drinks, all the condiments as well as the bowls, plates and utensils. Disked asked for a couple of large coolers to use and some were offered by Lee.
Big T Fishing Pier
Quick update regarding this potential project. The Forest Service is not expected to begin discussions about this project until this fall so right now nothing is happening with this project.
- Discuss proposed project in preparation of submitting comment to the USFS. Dick provided a link to the Forest Service web site in an earlier email. We talked about the project and looked at a map of the drainage. Dave Piske would like to receive any feedback by Feb 13th. Comments by him are due Feb 22nd.
Added Agenda Items
- Dave Morse informed the group that Jordan Cable is the new coordinator for the Project Healing Waters in our area, he is a guide out of the Elkhorn Rod and Reel fly shop in Loveland. Marty Staub is currently teaching a monthly class at the Elkhorn. Dave would like to get a local Saturday tying class started and will have a signup sheet at the tying expo. We agreed to announce that there was a sheet available for volunteers.
- The Big Thompson Restoration Coalition meeting was Feb. 12th and a letter of support from the chapter was to be provided.
9:08 PM - Meeting adjourned
Submitted by Lance Asherin,
Rocky Mountain Flycasters’ Secretary
Previous meeting reports will be here as they are superceded by newer reports.