Rocky Mountain Flycasters - Board Meetings
ROCKY MOUNTAIN FLYCASTERS BOARD MEETING
September 9, 2009
President Ken Eis called the meeting to order at 7:02 pm. Board members present were Lee Evans, Dave Coulson, and Phil Wright. Also attending was Dennis Cook, youth activities chairman. The minutes of the August meeting were accepted.
The treasurer reported no change during this last month. The general fund is $5389.80 and the projects account is $906.77. The projects fund is carrying a negative balance of $180 in the Behnke-RMF Scholarship fund. The balances do not reflect an encumbered expense of about $375 to Elkhorn Rods for raffle items.
Membership was reported to be 859 members. Lee moved that the chapter spend $30 plus shipping to buy more name tag blanks. The motion passed.
In old business, we discussed having a budget item for youth activities. Lee moved and Ken seconded that we have $800 in the budget for youth activities, $500 for youth camp, and $300 for incidental expenses. Much discussion followed. Dennis explained in general terms the kind of items he needs for his plans for young people in our area. The revenue stream was discussed with the acknowledgement that we must raise money in order to continue spending as we have. Many types of fund raisers were discussed. Since we are generating a written budget for the first time, more planning needs to be done before we designate amounts in line items. Lee withdrew the motion with the approval of his second. Lee moved that any budget that is written have a line item for Youth Activities. The motion passed.
Dave Coulson will consolidate the treasurer's books for the last two years, and categorize expenses and income. He will email this information to the Board for use in writing a budget at the next meeting. Ken will moderate an email discussion regarding proposed budgets over the next few weeks.
In other business, we have a nice rod for this year's Behnke-RMF scholarship raffle, and need companion items to complete the package. We are looking for donations from our members and from our community. We hope to start selling tickets at the October meeting.
Lee will prepare a draft of a bylaw change to have future elections in May, instead of November. We will have elections this year in November. If you are willing to serve the chapter and be on the board, please email Lee Evans (firstname.lastname@example.org).
There will be a river cleanup on the Poudre through town on September 26. A sign up sheet will be passed around at the September 16th meeting. If you don't make the meeting and can help with the cleanup, please email Ken (email@example.com).
In new business, Ken reported he mailed 852 postcards to our members at a cost of $383.20. He has 92 extra cards that he will put in fly shops.
The draft MOA for Longdraw Reservoir is out and Ken is analyzing it. National TU is offering a membership brochure for free with our name imprinted. Ken will pursue that.
We need raffle items for our meeting on September 16. Dennis Cook will speak about upcoming youth activities and introduce Connor Murphy, who we sponsored to this year's youth camp. Connor will speak about his experiences. Dave Coulson will be the featured speaker, and will talk about fly fishing for Colorado "Redfish."
We adjourned at 9:05 with thanks to Ken for hosting.
Previous meeting reports will be here as they are superceded by newer reports.