Youth Camp Volunteers
See our Youth Camp page to sign up for the 2018 Youth River Conservation and Fly Fishing Day Camp.
Volunteer mentors are an integral part of our Day Camp program. We will need mentors each camp day for assisting with skills ranging from casting, tying flies, still water fishing, wade fishing, to other water activities. When the camp schedule is formalized, you will be able to volunteer for activities.
You can sign up to volunteer online below. Volunteers are needed for this July 30-August 4 Youth River Conservation and Fly Fishing Day Camp. We will have 15 youths ages 14-17, and need 1:1 Mentors with fly fishing skills and knowledge competency to instruct and supervise.
Major activities time frames and additional details from 2018 are below.
Sign up as a Volunteer Mentor
Indicate your interest(s) in volunteering by clicking one or more of the check boxes below. Please add your name, email address and phone number below.
You may download the preliminary Day Camp Schedule (pdf 104 KB) for a detailed daily schedule. Please contact Youth Day Camp Information to email any questions you may need answered before deciding to volunteer.
2018 Projected Schedule
- Monday July 30, Dry land casting: Requires solid dry land, back and roll-casting capability to help youths following instructions from the central lead instructor.
- Tuesday July 31, Fly tying (Introduction): Requires solid basic fly tying capability to help youths succeed following instructions from the central lead instructor.
- Tuesday July 31, Fly Casting/Line Management Practice: Requires casting and reading the water proficiency to help with one-on-one, on-river, back and roll casting instruction, and how to read the water.
- Wednesday August 1, Still Water Fishing: Requires at least basic warm waters fishing knowledge to help the campers be successful shore casting for bass in ponds at Swift Ponds.
- Wednesday August 1, Restoration Project: We need eight volunteers to help oversee a conservation planting project on the North Fork of the Big Thompson above Drake. Location tentative.
- Thursday August 2 AM, Wade Fishing: Electro-fish and identify species: Wading stamina and skill required to assist campers in the water participating in electro-fishing, and also identifying fish collected. We will need a dozen volunteers for this session led by Colorado Parks and Wildlife biologists and Interns.
- Thursday August 2 PM, Wade Fishing: Requires solid basic river casting, reading water, fly selections and dry/nymph/streamer fly techniques competency. Campers will have already received back and roll casting, reading the water and other basic instructions, and need one-on-one practice under close, knowledgeable adult guidance. Location will be in the upper Poudre Canyon.
- Friday August 3, Fly Tying-Intermediate: Requires solid intermediate fly tying capability to help youths succeed following instructions from the central lead instructor.
- Friday August 3, Snorkeling and Insect Collection: Volunteers Friday afternoon to provide safety supervision during the in-river snorkeling, entomology, and “match the hatch” activities being taught by lead instructors.
- Saturday August 4, Wade Fishing/Casting: Requires solid basic river casting, reading water, fly selections and dry/nymph/streamer fly techniques competency. Campers will have already received back and roll casting, reading the water and other basic instructions, and need one-on-one practice under close, knowledgeable adult guidance. Location will be Cub Creek in the Rocky Mountain National Park.
We will also need a supply of 175-200 flies (15 each). Please contact us before tying or purchasing so we don’t duplicate.
Nymphs Dries #8-12 BH Stoneflies (black & yellow)
#14-16 BH Copper Johns
#14-18 BH Hares Ears
#14-16 BH Prince Flashback
#8-12 BH Woolly Buggers (black & olive)
#14-18 Caddis Pupa Emerger
#18-22 Midge Larva & Pupa
#14-18 Elk Hair Caddis (Cream & Olive)
#14-18 Blue Dun
#16-20 Griffith’s Gnat
#16-20 Midge (Black &Cream)
#14-16 Stimulator (Orange & Yellow)
#14-18 Royal Wulff
You can also download this flyer to print and distribute. The full Application Packet (pdf 1.4 MB) can also be downloaded for youths to apply for the camp. Fliers and application packets are available now. (Day Camp Application Packet) Please distribute these to your friends, family and neighbors who have youngsters, and also to your church or other youth groups you know of, encouraging them to promote the Day Camp to their youths. You may also refer them to the 2018 Day Camp page.
Interested volunteers should bookmark this page and check often for updates.
Contact Youth Information for more Day Camp information or to discuss volunteer opportunities.