- March 9: 9th Annual Larimer County Fishing Expo
Larimer County Department of Natural Resources sponsors a Fishing Expo at The Exhibition Hall of the Larimer Co Fairgrounds (The Ranch). Come out and visit the RMF booth and see what other fishing items are on display.
- March 10: 9th Annual Larimer County Fishing Expo
Expo continues at The Ranch (Larimer County Fairgrounds).
- March 11: Colorado Women Flyfishers
Monthly meeting of the Northern Colorado WF at St. Peter’s. Contact St. Peter’s for more information.
- March 13: Board Meeting at 7:00 PM. Members are welcome to attend any board meeting. Check with a Board Member to find out where the meeting is being held.
- March 16: RMF in St. Patrick’s Day Parade Our Flycasters will be guests of the Fort Collins Natural Areas in the St. Patrick’s Day Parade in downtown Fort Collins. Come out and participate by cheering us on or marching with us. The parade starts at 10am and will run until noon. Should be great fun. Contact Dave Piske if you can participate.
- March 16: Fly Fishing Film Tour
The T3T hits Fort Collins Saturday March 16 with a series of amazing films of fly fishing around the world. On tap are films from such widely diverse areas as Alaska, Brazil, the Caucasus mountains of Georgia, Thailand, and the famous Au Sable. Tickets are available at the Lincoln Center Box office or discounted at either of the St. Pete’s stores.
In addition, St. Pete’s has a special offer for women fly fishers. Get a one-year free membership from Trout Unlimited, bring in your confirmation and get a free ticket to the F3T showing! What a deal!
- March 17: High Park Restoration Crew Leader Training: Rist Canyon — Crew Leader Training in Post-fire Restoration for High Park. See our conservation page for more information and how to sign up.
- March 20: RMF General Meeting
If you liked A Fly Fishing Guide to Rocky Mountain National Park, wait till you see what he has done with Indian Peaks Wilderness Area. Don’t miss it!
Steve has been fishing and researching Colorado fishing for many years and will bring fresh insights to fishing our local mountain areas.
Social hour begins at 6:30 pm at the Fort Collins Senior Center, and the program follows at 7:00 pm. We will have a local fly tyer at each general meeting and an equipment raffle following the meeting. This year the rods in the raffle are supported in part by Elkhorn Rod & Reel. Admission is free and the public is welcome. The Fort Collins Senior Center is located at 1200 Raintree Drive off Shields Avenue between Prospect and Drake. Additional meeting information.
- March 21: Green River, Utah (Flaming Gorge) Catch of a Lifetime
The fishing excursion to “The Green” is being hosted by Guy Turenne. The Green is one of those places that belongs on the bucket list of every fly fisher. You have to fish this river, and hopefully many times in your life. It’s picturesque, pine enshrouded shores, emerald green water and more trout per mile than anyone could believe offer high promise for the “fish of a lifetime”; it’s a bit like fishing in an aquarium! Both great wade fishing and float fishing greet anglers on this grand tailwater running through a spectacular red rock canyon. Keep an eye out for desert bighorns as you fish, or maybe you’ll even see some of the river otters that call this wonderful scene home. Host: Guy Turenne.
- March 22: Green River Trip continues....
- March 23: Green River Trip continues....
- March 24: Green River Trip continues....
- March 28: Where the Yellowstone Goes
The Lyric Cinema Café will be showing the film Where the Yellowstone Goes, about a 30-day drift boat journey down the longest “undammed” river in the lower 48 states. Sponsored in part by St. Peter’s Fly Shop, this film by director Hunter Weeks gives intimate portraits of locals in both booming cities and dusty, dwindling towns along the Yellowstone River, illustrates the history and controversies surrounding this enigmatic watershed leading to questions about its future. Connect with colorful characters, get lost in the hypnotic cast of a fly rod, and experience silhouetted moments of fireside stories on this heartfelt river adventure.
Tickets are $10 in advance or $12 at the door. A pair of tickets will be available at the RMF March General Meeting raffle on the 20th. For more information and to see a trailer for the movie, visit the site www.WhereTheYellowstoneGoes.com
- March 30: High Park Restoration Crew Leader Training: Campbell Valley — Crew Leader Training in Ecological Restoration for High Park. See our conservation page for more information and how to sign up.
- March 31: High Park Restoration Crew Leader Training: Campbell Valley — Crew Leader Training in Ecological Restoration for High Park. See our conservation page for more information and how to sign up.
Note of the Day:
Oh Beautiful for smoggy skies, insecticided grain,
For strip-mined mountain’s majesty above the asphalt plain.
America, America, man sheds his waste on thee,
And hides the pines with billboard signs, from sea to oily sea.
— George Carlin